Wednesday 3 October 2007

JUST YESTERDAY

All events occured in 48hrs

Just yesterday, we all woke up across two different continents. We called one another, we spoke, we teased,we laughed, all was well.

Just yesterday, we made plans for the future, most especially concerning you cuz you were precious to us.

Just yesterday, the horizon looked bright, you were set to make your mark in our little world.
Just yesterday all was well.

Just yesterday, i went to the shops, looking for things for you, picking things up and putting them down if i did not like them. Do you want to know what i bought? Maybe i'll tell you when my heart isn't breaking anymore.

Just yesterday, we were undecided on who you would turn out to be like, soft like your brother or strong and formidable like your sister.

Just yesterday, i told Timi he soon get to be with you, just yesterday life was beautiful.

Then the tide turns over,

Just yesterday, i woke up and heard your gran on the phone,speaking in the native tongue "we'll benefit from our children". I ask "who are you speaking to?"She says "aunty T". I wonder why so early? but i keep quiet. And then i notice she looks sad, "what's wrong?" i ask. She says you did not make it.

I stop. "what's going on? i ask,"what happened"? i'm confused.

Then she says you were fine, you took a turn and then you died. "when did all this happen i ask?" A1 called in the night and we decided not to wake you up.

Am in a daze, this cannot be happenin i say? you were just born. The newest addition to our family. No i say this cannot be happening.

I still can't process it,all in the space of 6 hours. Life isn't fair.

I didn't get it until i heard your gran telling your dad that she does not know how it feels cuz she has never lost a child. And then it dawns on me and then i lose it completely.

I lock myself up in the bathroom and cry my eyes out. Its true you were gone. You were going to be buried. My brother had lost a child.

Everyone says its for the best but am undecided.

It took me 2 days to pull myself together, by then your parents had started worrying about me. But its not about me, its all about you cuz we are two of a kind.

I still cannot speak to your mother cuz i don't know what to say. It still feels as if a part of me has been ripped out and refuses to mend.

I will celebrate your life for the short time you gave us.

I have learnt a new trick, but its so sad. I have learnt to use my eye drops to mask my tears. Its hard thinking about you and all the what if's.

I don't like, i don't want it, but i accept you had to go.

OLUWALONIMI

4 comments:

7 said...

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Just stopped by here, this is really tough to get through but you will. Please keep the faith!

ladytyne said...

Thanks sis. its hard, its tough but i know i'll get thru.

Thanks so much

Anonymous said...

May God give you the strength you need to make it through. My deepest sympathy to your family. In time, the pain will get less.

ladytyne said...

thank you amara. the pain is already going away.