Thursday 12 July 2007

EARLIEST MEMORIES

My earliest memories of my dad and mum( who i shall call mama 3 - she has 3 of us n we all have the same initials) is of fighting n shouting. I must have been about 4/5 and that young age me and A2(my second bro) knew how to play diplomacy then. You knew what to say about one parent when the other was around. Dont get me wrong they were great parents, but they couldnt make it work. So when i was 7, mama3 finally packed her things and left. She took me and A2 with her to a lagos surburb, but me and A2 missed our old man so we went back after 3months n that is when my hell began. I cant remember exactly how it started but i know our houseboy S and neighbour's son Q started raping me. The other part of this horror story was that my neighbour Q's father started doing it and Q knew. My mum was not there and there was no one to turn to. I tried to avoid going to their house but my old man would send me there with the day's paper or somethin else. I think he just wanted us to get closer to them as they looked out for us when we came back from school even though we had houseboy S. This continued right until i was 10 and then the first turning point in my life happened. My Old man died after a heart atack.
Come and see wahala. mama3 just wanted to come and take her kids and go. Old mans pple wanted the property, thankfully i went off to boarding school so i was spared most of the drama.
the begining of the whole wahala n which also separted my parents in the long run was that my mum is of a higher social standing than my dad was. but i guess wen they first met love was all that mattered but we all know the nigerian factor when relatives started to intervene, they felt mama3 looked down on them.
Anyway mama3 had to become mother n father in one go and she had 3 kids to look after. A2 and i were shipped off to boarding school and then horror part 2 started.
We went to different boarding schools, I went to one of the army schools. I have always been stubborn and headstrong and now that i think i think about i think it was a gift God gave me wen he created me cuz beleive it has been stubborn that has kept me going strong wen all seemed bleak and gray.
So as a result i was always getting in trouble for being rude to seniors. I have done all sorts of punishment even copying their notes cuz i had the misfortune to have good handwritting.
Those of u who went to army schools know what am talking about. We had this system in the shools then where u could sign out books you needed and it would be added to your school fees for the follwing term. And horror part 2 began with the corporal in charge of the stock room. for the second time in my life i wondered what is what i had done to be treated like this.
I staunchly refused to go back after form 1 and told mama3 i hated the school. its just now i know it is never the victim's fault. Personally now i think any grown man who is supposed to know better who looks sexually at a child of under 16 should be shot.
Abuse robs a child of trust and it is something i know cuz i still find it hard to trust some people.
Through it all btw ages 7-10 i had come across a whole lot of pple who molested children. They can be anythin from a neighbour to the handy man who comes to do odd jobs in the house to the driver to mama3 last step-brother. yes o. she thinks i dont remember but i know she told him never to come to her place again after i told her he put his hand in my pant.
So pple pls always have regular conversations with your children to know wats happenin to them. I need to go off now, mama3 don dey hala.

4 comments:

Naija Babe said...

We are strong, we Naija babes aren't we? and Lady, you are among the strongest. So many of our children are targets in Naija. Our babies are exposed to all sorts and because we are a society that thrives on secrets, these deviants thrive also. I am so proud of you for having to courage to say this happened to me, but this will not define me and I will not let this define my child. I completely agree with your assessment that communication with your children is key. I am a mother myself and I no go lie...I often think about how best to protect my baby.
Yes O, Our future is indeed bright, because we have women like you in it.
PS
Thanks for putting my blog up on your blogroll!

Confused Naija Girl said...

we are indeed. I started share your story at the drop of a hat. I just had this idea . I knew there had to be others . it was to prevalent in our country. God bless you babe. Adding you to my blogroll now. and yes communication is KEY. I say it all the time and I know I sound like a broken record.

BOBBY said...

hmph! I dont know what to say. Its just a sad sad world out there and its even sadder that any young girl would have to go through this.

I wish you all the strength you need to get through this...you sound so strong so i trust you will be just fine.

My heart reaches for you!

Style Stalker said...

Wow!. . . . . . . stay strong . . . . . .